The Jewett City Water Company is a privately owned public utility. It was established in 1894 and has been since become a family owned and operated business. The Company is currently in the third generation of ownership by the Avery & Dewing Families, with the patriarch, Arthur Dewing, purchasing the company in 1937.
The majority of the water has been supplied by a beautiful 90-million gallon reservoir constructed in 1899. Water use was heavily industrial in the early years and has shifted to residential use in the past 15 years.